Organization: San Francisco Estuary Institute
Title: Web-GIS Developer
Location: Oakland CA
Position Description:Job Announcement
The San Francisco Estuary Institute, an environmental research non-profit organization located in Oakland, California, is seeking to hire a Web-GIS Developer in its Information Technology group. This person will develop for several of the Institute’s flagship web products, create new products, and help shape the GIS program at the Institute.
For nearly a decade, SFEI has been one of the leading producers of GIS data and analysis related to the San Francisco Bay Area environment, creating award-winning datasets such as the EcoAtlas Historical and Modern Baylands Maps (now adopted by numerous organizations as their regional basemaps), and leading web-GIS products such as the California Wetland Tracker, California rapid wetland assessment software, and Historical Coast Survey Maps website.
Primary duties include
• Working closely with other technical staff to create and maintain web mapping and related applications for the Institute and its clients (based on open source products such as MapServer, OpenLayers, and PostgreSQL; ESRI products such as ArcIMS and ArcSDE; and Google APIs).
• Working with IT and science staff to create compelling information products for a range of audiences
• Staying informed on GIS technologies and strategizing with staff on the most appropriate technologies for our web mapping applications and for meeting other GIS project and Institute goals.
• Providing mentoring and assistance to other GIS staff as appropriate. About eight others at the Institute use GIS software regularly.
• Three years experience in related work
• Broad skills and experience with web mapping applications and web-GIS technologies such as MapServer, OpenLayers, ArcIMS, and Google Maps/Earth APIs. The Institute is currently embarked on several exciting web-GIS projects related to wetlands restoration and contaminant monitoring in the Bay.
• Skills and experience with linking spatial data to web applications using relational database technologies such as ArcSDE and PostgreSQL/PostGIS. The ability to administer relational database systems is a plus.
• Advanced understanding of spatial data formats, tools, and concepts.
• Skills in PHP and/or Java as applied to application-database communication very advantageous.
• Experience with application development for mobile platforms very advantageous.
• Organization and attention to detail are critical. Typically, several projects are in progress simultaneously.
• Strong oral and written communication skills are highly advantageous. This position works routinely with Institute scientists, staff and clients, and may be called on to write technical project documentation, specifications, and/or work plans. Ability to make engaging presentations to internal or external audiences is advantageous.
• Optional but desirable skills include graphics applications (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.); and interface design.
SFEI offers an enjoyable workplace, earns excellent employee retention, and provides the candidate the opportunity to play a key role in the Institute’s mission to use scientific understanding to protect and enhance the San Francisco Bay environment.
For more background on SFEI, visit http://www.sfei.org.
Salary based on experience and skills. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter and your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.